The Church of the Primacy of St. Peter is a small Franciscan chapel located in complex of Tabgha in Israel.
Also called in latin Mensa Domini, it chapel is located on the northwest shore of the Sea of Galilee.
The chapel celebrates and allegedly marks the spot, of Jesus' reinstatement of Peter as principal leader among the twelve Apostles.
The modern Mensa Domini or Mensa Christi, the church structure was built in 1933 and incorporates parts of an earlier church from 4th century AD. At the base of its walls, opposite the main altar, the visitor can view the foundations of the 4th century. In the 9th century AD, the church was referred to as the Place of the Coals.
This name refers to the incident of Jesus' preparation of meal for the apostles in the Galilee Sea shores, building a charcoal fire on which to cook the fish and ask the disciples to joint him. The church was also mentioned in 808 AD as the "Twelve Thrones", a series of heart shaped stones, which were placed along the shore to mark the Twelve Apostles of Jesus. The church survived longer than any other in the area, finally being destroyed in 1263 AD. The modern Franciscan chapel was built in the same place in 1933.
This church was included in the itineraries of Popes Paul VI and John Paul II during their visits to Israel in 1964 and John Paul II was inside de chapel in March 2000 visits.
And the other disciples came in a little ship; (for they were not far from land, but as it were two hundred cubits,) dragging the net with fishes. As soon then as they were come to land, they saw a fire of coals there, and fish laid thereon, and bread. Jesus saith unto them, Bring of the fish which ye have now caught.Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land full of great fishes, an hundred and fifty and three: and for all there were so many, yet was not the net broken.
(John 21:8–11 KJV)
Jesus then cometh, and taketh bread, and giveth them, and fish likewise.
(John 21:13 KJV)
Jesus Feeds the Five Thousand
13 When Jesus heard what had happened, he withdrew by boat privately to a solitary place. Hearing of this, the crowds followed him on foot from the towns.14 When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick.
15 As evening approached, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a remote place, and it’s already getting late. Send the crowds away, so they can go to the villages and buy themselves some food.”
16 Jesus replied, “They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat.”
17 “We have here only five loaves of bread and two fish,” they answered.
18 “Bring them here to me,” he said. 19 And he directed the people to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people. 20 They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. 21 The number of those who ate was about five thousand men, besides women and children.